What is fullness of life?

     I find the phrase "fullness of life" very compelling and suggestive. For me, it is a biblically inspired phrase. As I contemplated writing a blog after publishing my book, this phrase emerged and felt right. I certainly have my insights and beliefs around its meaning(s)—and they will inform this blog—so let's begin with a reflection on it. (I do ask my readers to please read at least 5 of the blogs before making a decision to continue or to stop following this blog. I also aim to keep each blog short, roughly a page in length).

    Fullness of life?  What might that be? 

  • Be a billionaire, having it all, and able to do it all;
  • Have a great family life, and also some good friends;
  • Have a rewarding and meaningful career;
  • Meditate, study, become something of an expert/guru
  • Have a 'thrilling' life—climbing high mountains, sky diving, scuba diving, exotic destinations, adrenaline rushes, etc.;
  • Become famous in some way—a rock or rap star, a star athlete, a best-selling author, write a great song(s), extraordinary service to some place or community of great need;
  • Be accepted for who you are, and able to comfortably be yourself in any setting;
  • Be a great leader, doctor, politician, researcher, etc.;
  • Excel in a profession, or business, or philanthropy;
    Perhaps you could add others. Perhaps you would take a piece from several of the above points. In any event, I believe that thinking about what fullness of life is for you is an important exercise—probably one you have thought about, whether you use that phrase or not. I imagine that most would agree that fullness of life is very important. Other useful useful phrases are: A Fulfilling Life; A Meaningful life. 

    This discussion may elicit the popular phrase "whatever floats your boat." Can't argue with that? Or can we? I do challenge that, for I am not a nihilist believing life is a meaningless accident, which would imply that ultimately it doesn't really matter what we do or how we live. I believe it matters greatly: I invite you into this exploration. Why not write down what you believe fullness of life is, and keep it handy.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fullness of Life

New Life