The Fullness of Life
I have titled this blog "The Fullness of Life Blog" because it is such a rich, deep, and compelling phrase. It is not original. It emerges from the Bible, and perhaps in other books or sources. I believe this idea is universal—who does not want to have fullness of life?—even though I have not defined or discussed it yet. I ask the reader to resist categorization and assumptions, which we all have when we delve into faith, values, religion, and spirituality.
I have been privileged to enjoy a career in education and ministry. I taught courses in mathematics and also in religious studies. I have retired from teaching, but am still doing faith informed voluntary work.
My blog arises now as a follow up to a book I have just published entitled Jesus Beyond Religion / the Truth that Sets You Free. Once the name of Jesus is mentioned it sets off countless thoughts and ideas particular to our life experience, religious (or lack of) experiences, and studies. Countless, and often long, deep, and convoluted, books have been written about Jesus. My book is fairly short. Here is a paragraph I use to describe the book's purpose:
"Christianity in the Western world faces big dilemmas: A decline in membership, and a recurring problem throughout its history – the practice and content of faith gets choked and twisted by the weeds of excessive religious doctrine, ritual and cultural distortion. When Jesus walked this earth, he encountered a restrictive and vast system of religious laws and customs, and he blasted it. This happened repeatedly, because many in the religious establishment challenged him regularly on his apparent violation of these laws and regulations. Jesus brought “new wine,” an exciting and challenging combination of renewal and transformation. This new wine contained the “truth that sets you free.” We are in another time of crisis in Christianity – a time calling for new wine for our time. Jesus Beyond Religion lays out a modern vision and call emerging from the astonishing life and teaching of Jesus, clearing weeds away, and seeding new plants of discipleship, inspired by his liberating Good News. It is urgent, for the crisis continues."
The life, message, and implications of this astonishing, wandering teacher are wide, simple yet profound, life-giving, life-challenging, and more. Ultimately, he offers us a Way to have "fullness of life"—beginning now. Just like maintaining a beautiful garden, there is the need to regularly clear away the weeds so that the garden can grow and flourish. I hope that regardless of your experiences, you will take another, and fresh look ("new wine" for our time) at Jesus to find a wonderful, though challenging, Way of life, that draws us deeper into the embrace of the God of Love (see I John 4:7-21), and also leads us deeply into the world to serve others.
Comments
Post a Comment